Message from the
S. Mark Alton, CFP®, ChFC®, CLU®,
Syracuse, New York
Welcome to Estate Planning 2.0! Exponential growth in computing power,
automation, 3D sensing, artificial intelligence, machine learning, 5G, which
will be 100X faster than 4G, the internet of things, autonomous vehicles... The
world is changing at such a rapid pace, and the rate of change is accelerating.
Persistent advances in technology are threatening the traditional role of estate
planning professionals from every discipline. The future of estate planning is
fraught with tough challenges and full of exciting opportunities. To be most
successful, we will need to learn to adapt to an onslaught of disruptive forces,
and fend off the likes of fee compression and robo-advisors. The good news is
that by working together in close collaboration, and by pursuing a more
purposeful estate planning approach, we can control our own destiny and
literally design the future we want to see.
At NAEPC, our Mission is to "promote excellence in estate planning." But,
what is excellence in estate planning, and what is the ultimate purpose for the
work we all do together?
Read More >
Accredited Estate Planner® Designation
Becoming an Accredited Estate Planner® (AEP®) designee is more than just
submitting an application and goes beyond an additional set of initials after
your name. The Accredited Estate Planner® designation demonstrates
- To the collaborative approach to estate planning, because that is
what best serves the client
- To high ethical standards
- To relationships with multi-disciplinary professionals forged
through membership in an estate planning council
- To ongoing learning through continuing education
Are You Committed?
Learn more about the AEP® Designation
Brief Overview of Requirements for all Applicants
- Active practice for a minimum of five years within the following
disciplines: accounting; insurance and financial planning; law;
philanthropy; and trust services
Devote at least 1/3 of one's time to estate planning
- One or more of the following professional credentials: JD (active law
license required), CPA, CLU®, CFP®, ChFC®, CPWA®, CFA, CAP®, CSPG, CTFA,
MSFS, and MST
- Three professional references from individuals with whom you have worked
with on estate planning cases and assignments
- Current membership in an
estate planning council
Additional Requirement for Applicants with 5-15 years of Experience
The American College is offering a unique opportunity to those who are
interested in applying for the AEP® designation and are required to take
coursework, or those who are simply interested in continuing education.
Newly-revised course GS815 - Advanced Estate Planning addresses changes to the
tax code as a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, offers an in-depth
look at the techniques of estate planning affected by the new law while
continuing to cover the traditional estate planning topics, and goes beyond
traditional asset-centric planning and incorporating important family-centric
elements, teaching the essential skills of purposeful planning and
collaboration. Act fast! Distance-learning courses begin on February
13, 2019 and tuition is discounted until December 31st. To learn more,
download the informational flyer or contact Elaine Gulezian at 610-526-1479
As an AEP® designee or member, you have access to a list of nearly 40 member
benefits spanning a range of categories.
New & Updated Benefits
Online Learning Opportunities Offered by The Legacy Companies, LLC
NAEPC is happy to offer our members a 10% discount on several online
learning programs provided by The Legacy Companies, LLC.
Legacy has helped
accountants, attorneys, philanthropic advisors, financial advisors and many
other advice-givers create powerful, lasting relationships for over 20
years. Be the next to have the clients, the business, and the life you want!
To learn more about all of these courses and to enroll, visit the
informational page. Enter NAEPC10 when prompted to obtain the NAEPC
IGNITE Online Learning Program
The fundamental success requirement of any advice-giver is your ability
to generate powerful relationships in a short amount of time when you first
connect with new opportunities. If that's not daunting enough, you have to
do it in a business climate of skepticism, restrictive compliance, and high
competition. That's why Legacy created the IGNITE program.
IGNITE equips you with a system for connection: Specifically, you'll
- A 4 Decision System™ that will steer the progression of your relationship
with current and potential clients
- A battle-proven way to confidently answer the question, "What do you
- An Approach Talk™ that will pull you out of the commodity trap, and
result in a clear engagement decision by your potential client
- Clear language that will show your potential client, why they should
become a client for life
- An Engagement Agreement that will accelerate the opportunity forward
LAUNCH Online Learning Program
LAUNCH is designed with a single purpose: install a new process for
engaging with future and current clients so that you can have the business,
the clients and the kinds of engagements you want.
You will complete LAUNCH with:
- A proven, 4 Decision System™ for engaging with future and current clients
in a powerful, efficient and systematic way
- A new way to introduce yourself to potential clients, and to teach others
to introduce you so that you get more referrals, and that they are the kinds
of clients you want
- An advanced Approach Talk™ designed to make securing new business more
engaging, more fun, and get you quickly aligned with your prospects'
- A new perspective on how Trust works and how you can help nurture it
- A system for creating Goal Clarity to permanently address one of the
invisible points-of-failure in client engagement
- Our GISOR™ Model for ensuring clients commit to their goals before you
- A method to articulate Goal Achievement, how you'll help your client
achieve their goals and have the compelling future they want
- A web-based application to capture what you gather in your expanded
Discovery, prepare compelling reports for your clients, and help your team
keep cases on track
ECHO Online Learning Program
When families make decisions based on your recommendations, the results
will echo long into the future. Their decisions become part of your legacy
and theirs. Someone will serve your client for generations; we think it
should be you. But one of the greatest risks to the advice-giving business
model is a lack of generational reach.
When your current clients die, and both the decisions and assets move to
the next generation, those clients will leave you and move on to their own
circle of advisor relationship. And it's worse. 70% of estate plans fail and
cause the family to lose their wealth because of family cohesion challenges:
they fight, and then go broke.
You will complete ECHO with:
- A powerful new way to capture your clients' ideal future for themselves,
their wealth, and their family
- The ability to discover and document shared family values, across
- The method to create a meaningful family financial philosophy (mission
- The ability to actually engage the next generation and create
relationships that will stick
- The ability to capture the family story (the story that holds them all
together) through a turnkey biographical interview process
- The process for confidently hosting family meetings, including agenda's
- The knowledge of Why, When and How to introduce a family wealth counselor
- The ability to create one-of-a-kind client documents using our web-based
LINK will put the power of our 5 Best Practices of Collaboration in your
hands, at your fingertips, so that you stay in the driver's seat, lead, and
win the day for your client.
> Learn more about LINK
We are grateful for the support of all sponsors and exhibitors from the
NAEPC Advanced Estate Planning Strategies Conference, including those shown
below. You may click on each logo to learn more.
Please click on each logo to learn more.
Reflections on the Values of NAEPC by Robert E. Fox, CLU®, AEP®
Editor's note: This month we would like to revisit a piece provided by Robert
E. Fox, CLU®, AEP® earlier this year, which captures his comments while serving
as editor of this portion of our newsletter.
- That NAEPC is the primary estate planning organization and that its
future depends on the dedication in service to my clients through a
professional approach to my career.
- In a spiritual approach to my affiliation with NAEPC and the Accredited
Estate Planner® designation.
- In the continuing perfection of my techniques and knowledge.
- In working together with my peers of other disciplines, and
- Above all, in dedication to the continual welfare of my clients and not
alone in my monetary gain.
> Read more