Estate Law Specialist Program
The Estate Law Specialist Board, Inc., an ABA-accredited, attorney-run subsidiary of the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils in Cleveland, Ohio, administers the only national, board certification of an attorney as an Estate Planning Law Specialist (EPLS). We believe that specialization is the future of practicing law and, as specialization increases, it will benefit lawyers and the public.
Attorneys who become Board-certified under this program demonstrate a high level of professionalism and commitment to the concept of specialization. We believe that as attorney specialization increases, it will benefit not only lawyers but the clients they serve. This program is currently the only program, other than certain state bar association programs which are only for residents of their particular states, to Board-certify attorneys as Estate Planning Law Specialists. The Estate Law Specialst Board, Inc., was initially accredited by the ABA in 1996 and has successfully attained reaccrediation every five years since that time. The most recent reaccreditation was awarded to the ELSB, Inc., on August 11, 2014.
To obtain Board-certified status, an attorney must meet the following requirements:
- Five or more years as an estate planning attorney during which at least 1/3 of the attorney’s practice is devoted to estate planning at an enhanced level of skill and expertise
- 12 or more hours of continuing legal education in estate planning topics earned per year for the three years preceding filing of the application
- Verification of professional liability insurance coverage at a minimum of $1,000,000 per claim
- Recommendations from at least five colleagues who are not related to or within the same firm as the applicant who can attest to the applicant's reputation for involvement in estate planning in a professional manner and who can provide specific information about the applicant's competence and qualifications to practice in the field at the enhanced level of skill and expertise required for this designation
- Passing a comprehensive, national examination designed for actively practicing estate planning attorneys
See complete details about standards for certification.
Many states permit lawyers to hold themselves out as specialists if their certification is awarded by an ABA-accredited program. Each lawyer must consult the rules in his or her own state to determine any restrictions to the use of the EPLS certification. Also, you may wish to consult the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
Find an Estate Planning Law Specialist near you.
Upcoming Live Review Course & Proctored Exam
Updated information for the current year coming soon!
2016 Board Roster with Officers
C. Michael Adams, Jr., CPA, JD, LL.M., EPLS, AEP®
Williams McDaniel, PLLC
717 S. White Station Road
Memphis, TN 38117
R. D. “Don” Estes, BA, LL.B.. EPLS, AEP®
Estes Law Firm, P.A.
4741 Fremont Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55419-5206
Jason E. Havens, JD, LL.M. (EP), LL.M. (Int'l Tax), BCS, EPLS, AEP®, TEP
Holland & Knight LLP
50 N. Laura Street, Suite 3900, Jacksonville, FL 32202
315 S. Calhoun Street, Suite 600, Tallahassee, FL 32301
Tassma A. Powers, JD, CTFA, EPLS, AEP®
Schwartz Bon Walker & Studer, LLC
141 S. Center, Suite 500
Casper, WY 82601
Alexander M. Taylor, Attorney, EPLS, AEP®
Kennerly Montgomery & Finley, PC
550 W. Main Street, Suite 400
Knoxsville, TN 37902-2515