Accredited Estate Planner® Designation
Professional estate planners can obtain an accreditation that acknowledges their experience and specialization in estate planning. Simply put, the Accredited Estate Planner® designation means “I believe in the team concept of estate planning.”
Awarded by the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils to recognized estate planning professionals who meet special requirements of education, experience, knowledge, professional reputation, and character, the AEP® designation helps both clients and colleagues understand your belief in, and dedication to, the team concept of estate planning.
The designation is available to credentialed professionals in the following disciplines – accounting (CPA); insurance and financial planning (CLU®, ChFC®, CFP®, CPWA®); legal (JD); philanthropy (CAP®, CSPG); and trust services (CTFA) – who are devoting at least a third of one’s professional time to estate planning. Eligible applicants must meet stringent qualifications at the time of application and commit to ongoing continuing education and recertification requirements.
- With a minimum of 5 years of experience, the designation is available after taking two courses through The American College. For information about courses offered through The American College, please click HERE.
- For those individuals who have 15 years of experience or more, one may choose to be exempt from the required graduate-level courses in estate planning.
To download the appropriate application or learn more, please follow the link(s) below.
For Estate Planning Councils interested in learning more about the Council Nomination process, please click HERE.
- Find an Accredited Estate Planner® near you.
- AEP® Qualifications and Requirements (Full Version)
- AEP® Qualifications and Requirements (Abbreviated)
- AEP® Applications
- Estate Planning Hall of Fame®
- Information for Active AEP® Designees
- Newsletter: AEP® Alert
- Definition of Estate Planning
Watch this brief video to learn more about NAEPC and the AEP® designation: