The Robert G. Alexander Webinar Series
The Robert G. Alexander Webinar Series was launched in September 2013 to provide estate planners with accessible, high quality, multi-disciplinary and supplemental education. Programs typically take place on the second Wednesday of each month at 3:00 pm ET.
Not able to attend on the live date and time?
Register anyway! We'll send you a link to the webinar archive so you can view it at your own convenience.
Registration is available for individual webinars or by purchasing a yearly series subscription, which offers acccess to all of the programs scheduled during the calendar year for one discounted fee.
|$40||$280 ($360 value)||Accredited Estate Planner® designee or Estate Planning Law Specialist certificant|
|$40||$280 ($360 value)||Junior/Student (available to a Junior or Student member of an NAEPC-affiliated council or one who is in the process of attaining the AEP® designation by virtue of being enrolled in either the required or an elective course offered by The American College)|
|$60||$420 ($540 value)||Member of an affiliated local estate planning council or at-large member of NAEPC|
|$100||$700 ($900 value)||Non-member|
|$250||$1,125 ($2,250 value)||Council meeting / group gathering (one feed to be shown in a single location to a group that has gathered together)
Additional feeds available for $25 per feed per webinar by contacting us after the initial registration.
- Individual Program: Click on "register here" on the page associated with the program you will be attending live or on-demand.
- Series Subscription: REGISTER FOR THE SERIES. We will send you an email after your registration has been processed with instructions about how to obtain log-in credentials for each program.
For Our Councils
NAEPC understands that councils want and need compelling virtual programming options to supplement their regular calendar of events. To accommodate this need, NAEPC is offering affiliated councils on-demand* access to any four webinars presented during the 2021 calendar year for a reduced cost of $400. Choose the "Pro-Rated Group Gathering" option on the online registration form and we will contact you promptly for your selections and to provide the program link and accompanying materials.
Councils that wish to offer continuing education credit must become the provider with their state and/or governing body.
*NAEPC will provide a website link and a password to the recorded version of the webinar, which can be used to show the program to council members and guests who have gathered together on a virtual meeting. Please allow up to three business days after the live webinar to receive the link to the recorded program.
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing education credit is available at most webinars for Accredited Estate Planner® designees. In addition, a general certificate of completion will be available for those who feel the program satisfies their continuing education requirements and are able to self-file. It is the responsibility of the attendee to determine whether their state, discipline, or designation will allow one to self-file for a distance-learning program. Please contact email@example.com prior to attending your first program if you have any questions with regard to the availability of credit.
Wednesday, October 13, 2021 3:00pm - 4:00pm ET
Sophia Duffy, JD, CPA and Stephen B. Parrish, JD, RICP®, CLU®, ChFC®, AEP®
This session considers integrating Social Security retirement benefits into estate planning. Even with the high net worth client, this benefit is an important planning tool because of tax affects and longevity considerations. We will address issues such as how the system’s underfunding factors into projecting benefits, how to avoid the Social Security tax torpedo, retirement income bridging techniques that help defer and maximize retirement benefits, and coordinating OASDI payments with retirement drawdowns. Practical considerations are also included, such as how to help the client file for the benefit, using the benefit to pay for Medicare, and what to do about Social Security at death.
Sophia Duffy is an Assistant Professor of Business Planning and the Assistant Vice President and Director of Regulatory Compliance, at The American College of Financial Services. Duffy teaches in the areas of estate planning, small business and succession planning, and income taxation. She is an attorney and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).She received her Juris Doctorate (JD) from the Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law in 2012, and her Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accounting from Rutgers University in 2002.
In 2015, Duffy was appointed Interim Chief Academic Officer. Prior to that, she served as Assistant Dean of Business Affairs.
Steve Parrish is a former practicing attorney and financial planner with over 40 years’ experience in financial services. He serves as Co-Director of the Retirement Income Center at The American College and as an adjunct estate planning professor at Drake University Law School. He is widely published in legal and financial journals, and is an ongoing Forbes contributor.
REGISTER HERE for the individual program.
To purchase the 2021 webinar series, please click HERE.
Wednesday, December 8, 2021 3:00pm - 4:00pm ET
Wendy S. Goffe, JD, AEP® (Distinguished) Nominee and Kim Kamin, JD, AEP®
As the traditional nuclear family has changed because of evolving social and legal norms as well as scientific and technological developments, estate planning professionals must be prepared both for issue spotting and thoughtful problem solving with regard to issues clients face, how existing trusts are interpreted, and how new estate planning instruments can be drafted for sufficient flexibility. This discussion will touch upon a potpourri of issues to consider, including: Marital Status (single, divorced, unmarried couples and polyamorous relationships); Defining Descendants (stepchildren, adoption, nonmarital children and assisted reproductive technologies); and other forms of Diversity (disability, LGBTQIA+, religious, racial and cultural inclusion) . . . and more!
Missed a live program? Not to worry! Archives of all programs are available. The fee to participate is the same as the live feed unless otherwise noted. If you registered for and attended a specific program, and would like replay access, please contact NAEPC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Estate Planning Councils wishing to obtain an archive of the following programs, all hosted during calendar year 2021, should contact the NAEPC office at email@example.com. Individuals and other groups are welcome to register for any program during the 2021 year HERE.
- The Impact of Testamentary Documents in a Divorce: a Divorce Attorneys' Perspective - Natalia C. Wilson, JD
- Planning for Business Owners and Trusts in Light of Changing Income Tax Rates - Steven B. Gorin, JD, CPA, CGMA®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Income Tax Planning for Real Estate Using Estate Planning Techniques - Jerome M. Hesch, MBA, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- 2021 Income Tax Planning Strategies including IRA Strategies - Robert S. Keebler, CPA/PFS, MST, AEP® (Distinguished), CGMA®
- Tax-Smart Charitable Giving, Especially with Retirement Assets - Christopher R. Hoyt, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- 529 Planning: Happy 25th Birthday - Susan T. Bart, JD
- Well-Being Trusts - the Future of Imbuing Trusts with Positivity, Meaning and Purpose - Richard S. Franklin, JD, LL.M. and Raymond C. Odom, JD, CFP®
- Complimentary webinar co-hosted with the Society of Financial Service Professionals: Methods to Fund Buy-Sell Agreements - James S. Aussem, JD, AEP® (Download the recording of this program HERE.)
- The Future Client and the Future Advisor - George Nichols III, President & CEO, The American College of Financial Services and Dien Yuen, JD, LL.M. (International Law), CAP®, AEP®
- Post-Election Estate Planning: The Tsunami Continues to Roll In - Jonathan G. Blattmachr, Esq., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Growing your Business and Network in a Virtual World: A "Back to Basics" Multidisciplinary Panel Discussion - Moderator: Martin M. Shenkman, CPA/PFS, MBA, JD, AEP® (Distinguished) Panelists: Dean DeLisle, Founder and CEO, Forward Progress; Thomas M. Forrest, TO, AEP® (Distinguished); Bronwyn L. Martin, MBA, ChFC®, CLU®, CLTC®, CRPC®, CFS®, CMFC®, AEP®, LACP, AIF®, CFS; Ginger F. Mlakar, JD, CPA, AEP®; Gregory E. Sellers, CPA, AEP®
To obtain an archive of the following programs, please click HERE.
- Virtual Shift: How to Work Online with Meetings, Webinars and More - Dean DeLisle, Founder and CEO, Forward Progress, Inc.
- Planning for International Families in a time of COVID-19 - Joseph A. Field, Senior Counsel
- Zen and the Art of Trust Modification - Susan T. Bart, JD
- Creative Ways to Fund Business Owner Retirement - Vincent M. D'Addona, CLU®, ChFC®, RICP®, RFC, CExP™, MSFS, AEP® (Distinguished)
- What Estate Planning Professionals Need to Know About Cybersecurity in the Era of COVID-19 - Justin Joy, JD, CIPP/US, CIPT
- Planning Team Revenue Opportunities Generated by New Tax Law - Terri L. Getman, JD, CLU®, ChFC®, RICP®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Remote Signing, Witnessing, and Notarization of Estate Planning Documents: Is the Future Here? - Timothy S. Reiniger, Esq.
- Collaboration Matters: Working Together to Produce Extraordinary Results - Albert E. Gibbons, CLU®, ChFC®, AEP®
- The Ethical Considerations of NY State DFS Reg 187, FINRA Rule IM2210 and the UPIA Relating to "Decision Support Material" Used in the Life Insurance Decision Process: A Program for All Fiduciary Professionals - Steven S. Zeiger, CEBS, TEP
- Charitable Giving and Tax Planning Strategies in the TCJA Era - Patrick J. Saccogna, JD, LL.M. (taxation), CPA (inactive), AEP®
- Basis Step-Up Strategies in Light of Portability and Tax Law Changes - Steven B. Gorin, JD, CPA, AEP®
- Complimentary Sponsored Webinar: Life Settlement Legal and Ethical Responsibility - Jon B. Mendelsohn, CEO and Co-Founder of Ashar Group/Ashar SMV (Download the recording of this program HERE after contacting NAEPC for the password.)
- The NEW Reverse Mortgage - 5 Ways Housing Wealth is Changing the Estate Planning Conversation - Don Graves, RICP®, CLTC® CSA
To obtain an archive of the following pre-2021 programs, please email the national office or phone 866-226-2224, making sure to include the specific webinar you wish to purchase.
- The Effect of Longevity on Your Life Priorities - Cynthia L. Hutchins, CRPC, CIMA
- Elder Law and Special Needs Planning - Bernard A. Krooks, JD, CPA, LL.M.(taxation), CELA, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Growing Your Firm's Revenue using the Non-Grantor Trust State Income Tax Chart - Steven J. Oshins, Esq., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Technology in Your Estate Planning Practice - Martin M. Shenkman, CPA, MBA, JD, PFS, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Attorney-Client Privilege in a Team Environment - Kim Kamin, JD, AEP® and David Blickenstaff, JD
- Leaving a Lasting Legacy - Eric Weiner, Ph.D.
- The Generational Solution - Leonard Renier
- Qualified Opportunity Zones - Marc L. Schultz, Esq.
- Business Clients Succession Planning - Peter J. Merrick, FMA, CFP®, TEP, FCSI, DTM
- Complimentary Sponsored Webinar: Life Settlement Case Studies and How to Protect Client Best Interests - Jon B. Mendelsohn, CEO and Co-Founder of Ashar Group/Ashar SMV (Download the recording of this program HERE after contacting NAEPC for the password.)
- Working Well with Widows - Kathleen M. Rehl, Ph.D., CFP®, CeFT®
- Incorporating Long-Term Care, Longevity Annuities, and Investment Risk Into A Retirement Income Plan - Jamie P. Hopkins, JD, MBA, LLM, CFP®
- New Developments in Charitable Giving - Lawrence P. Katzenstein, Atty., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Complimentary Sponsored Webinar: Longevity Changes Everything When it Comes to Life Insurance Valuation - Jon B. Mendelsohn, CEO and Co-Founder of the Ashar Group/Ashar SMV - Click to watch
- Non-Tax Developments of Interest to Estate Planners: An Overview of Recent Cases of Significance for all Estate Planning Professionals - Jeffrey N. Pennell, JD
- High Tax Free Compounded Returns: The Keys to Building Wealth and Accomplishing Significant Financial Planning - Jonathan G. Blattmachr, Esq., AEP® (Distinguished) and Jeff Glickman
- S.A.V.E. Yourself: How to survive the most horrific episodes of life (not your typical estate planning topic) - Chad Sheehan, Siouxland law enforcement veteran
- The Top 20 Insurance Planning Mistakes - How to Avoid or At Least Fix Them - Lawrence Brody, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: Advising the Wealthy in Times of Protracted and Unprecedented Political, Economic, Cultural and Scientific Change - Joshua S. Rubenstein, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- What the Estate Planner Needs to Know about Roth Retirement Plans - Natalie B. Choate, Esq., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Philanthropic Times, They are a Changing - Betsy Brill, MBA; Laura Malone, CAP®, CEPA; Jennifer Klein Strauss, JD
- Professional Collaboration: The Rock Star vs. the Whole Band - Heidi K. Gardner, PhD
- Major and Blended Gifts - A. Charles Schultz, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Complimentary Sponsored Webinar: Sold a Dream, Woke Up in a Nightmare: Educating Your Clients about a Timeshare's True Costs - Chuck McDowell, President and CEO of Wesley Financial Group - Click to watch
- Post-Mortem Estate Planning - Jeremiah W. Doyle, JD, LL.M. (banking law), AEP® (Distinguished)
- DOL Fiduciary: When They're Running You Out of Town - Get at the Head of the Line and Make it Look Like a Parade! - Kim O'Brien, MBA; Richard M. Weber, MBA, CLU®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Powers of Appointment, Turney P. Berry, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Negative Basis Partnership Freeze, Jerome M. Hesch, MBA, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Valuation Issues in Estate Planning, David P. Adams, CPA, ABV, ASA
- Effective Estate Planning for Diminished Capacity: Can You Really Avoid a Guardianship?, Diana S.C. Zeydel, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished)
- A Potpourri of Planning Ideas with Life Insurance, Lee J. Slavutin, MD, CLU®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Meet the Rileys: Can this Case be Closed?, Philip Cubeta, CLU®, ChFC®, MSFS, CAP®, AEP®
- Estate Planning Through an Asset Protection Lens - It's Not Just Self-Settled Trusts, Gideon Rothschild, JD, CPA, AEP® (Distinguished)
- The Perfect Modern Trust Including Income Tax Sheltering Opportunities, Richard A. Oshins, JD, LL.M., MBA, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Integrating Asset Protection Planning Into Your Estate Planning Practice, Douglass S. Lodmell, JD, LL.M., Managing Partner & Co-Founder, Lodmell & Lodmell, P.C.
- A December Guide to the Trump Tax Act: Where We Stand and New Planning Opportunities, Steven J. Oshins, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- A Year in Review: An Estate Planners Perspective - Howard M. Zaritsky, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished) & John O'Grady
- Business Succession Planning - Louis A. Mezzullo, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Life Insurance as an Asset Class - Richard M. Weber, MBA, CLU®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Grantor Trusts - Third Party and Grantor Debt: What Are the Effects During Life and At and After Death? - Jonathan G. Blattmachr, Esq., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Pulling a Rabbit Out of the GRAT Hat: Some of the Most Creative Structural GRAT Planning Ideas We See Out There - S. Stacy Eastland, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Secondary Planning for Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRTs) - Evan D. Unzelman, President, Sterling Foundation Management, LLC
- Tax and Estate Planning for Divorce - Carlyn McCaffrey, LL.B., LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Income Tax Deductions for Charitable Bequests of IRD - Christopher R. Hoyt, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Tricky GST Issues - David A. Handler, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Top Ten Estate Planning and Estate Tax Developments of 2016 - Ronald D. Aucutt, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Life Insurance Policy Valuation: At Best an Art, Not a Science Lawrence Brody, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Sophisticated Drafting and Administration Issues for Special Needs Trusts Bernard A. Krooks, JD, CPA, LL.M., CELA, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Basis Planning John J. Scroggin, JD, LL.M., AEP®
- Decanting an Irrevocable Trust: The Ultimate Do-Over Steven J. Oshins , JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Sophisticated Transfer Planning Strategies for Business Owners Diana S.C. Zeydel, JD, LL.M.
- Your Clients May Not Be Cyborgs But You Still Must Plan for Their Digital Assets Gerry W. Beyer, JD, LL.M., JSD, AEP® (Distinguished) Nominee
- Financed Life Insurance with Exit Strategies Michael W. Halloran, CFP®, CLU®, ChFC®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Subchapter J (Income Tax of Trusts and Estates) - The Forgotten Tax Jeffrey N. Pennell, JD
- Estate and Asset Protection Planning for Retirement Benefits Edwin P. Morrow III, JD, LL.M. (tax), MBA, CFP®, RFC
- 2014 Planning With 99 Year GRATs, 33 Year CLATs, and UPSPATS that are Ready To Go! Turney P. Berry, JD, AEP®
- Avoiding the Twilight Zone of Estate Administration M. Holly Isdale, JD
- Charitable Strategies to Help Create and Protect Legacy Laura Malone, CAP®, CEPA
- Family Investment Partnerships: Structure, Design, Issues & Problems (Beyond the Valuation Discount) Paul S. Lee, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished)
- Increasing Client Receptivity from The Right Side of the Table Todd Fithian
- The ATRA-Math: Estate Planning After the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 Thomas J. Pauloski, JD
- Perspectives on the Future of Estate Planning as a Profession Lawrence Brody, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished) , Stuart Kessler, CPA/PFS, JD, LL.M., AEP® (Distinguished) & Jeffrey N. Pennell, JD
- Special Needs Trusts, What Every Estate Planner Needs to Know Bernard A. Krooks, JD, CPA, LL.M., CELA, AEP®
- The Changing Landscape of Planning for Gay and Lesbian Couples: Opportunities (and Risks) Post-DOMA Erica Nadeau, CPA & Scott E. Squillace, Esq.
- The Hybrid Domestic Asset Protection Trust: a Third-Party Trust That Can Turn Into a Self-Settled Trust Steven J. Oshins , JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- How Collaborative Teams Work and Why They Are Essential For High Net Worth Clients Albert E. Gibbons, CLU®, ChFC®, AEP® (Distinguished)
- 2014 Heckerling Institute Highlights Martin M. Shenkman, CPA, PFS, MBA, JD, AEP® (Distinguished)
- Cognitive Errors in Group Decision Making Nancy B. Rapoport
- In-home, Private-duty Care is on the Rise: Understanding the Impact of New Legislation and How to Help Clients with Employment Risks & Responsibilities Tom Breedlove / Care.com (No fee to participate)
- Case Studies on In-Home Care: Important Information for Your Clients presented by Care.com Tom Breedlove / Care.com (No fee to participate)
- Financial Reform: Impact on Your Merchant Account sponsored by LawPay® Janelle Benefield / LawPay® (No fee to participate)
Cancellations made prior to 14 days of the webinar will be eligible for a 75% refund. Cancellations within 14 days are not eligible for refund. All cancellations will receive the replay link. Please direct questions about billing or refunds to Webinars@ConferTel.net or 866-930-4500.
See an RSS feed of upcoming webinars.